Knee injuries can make you immobile and have you down for much longer than you want; however, exactly how long the recovery time takes will depend on what your injury is. Some knee injuries can be resolved in just a week or two while others can take several weeks or months. There is no way to shorten your recovery time but the best way to not prolong getting better is by following the advice of your knee doctor in Summerville SC.
Types of Knee Injuries and Recovery Times
There are five common causes of knee injuries and each has their own average recovery time. A knee doctor in Summerville SC can diagnose and come up with a treatment plan for any of these.
- Fractures- The most common knee injury is a patella or kneecap fracture. These can take between 6 and 8 weeks to heal.
- Torn ACL- The ACL is a ligament that runs diagonal across your kneecap. Torn ACLs often require surgery and can take 6 to 9 months to heal.
- Dislocation- A knee dislocation is usually caused by trauma. These take 4 to 6 weeks to heal fully but many people start feeling back to normal after just a couple of weeks.
- Torn Meniscus- Tearing the cartilage in your knee is what a knee doctor in Summerville SC call meniscus tear. Most of these tears take 6 to 8 weeks to heal.
- Tendonitis- Inflammation of the knee is one of the most common causes of knee pain and is usually caused by overuse. With rest, tendonitis can heal in 3 weeks but can sometimes take up to 6 to heal fully.
Besides these top five causes for knee pain, there are many other ligaments, joint, and bone issues that can cause excruciating knee pain including rheumatoid arthritis, cancer, or other diseases. The correct diagnosis is vital to ensuring the proper treatment plan to start you on the road to recovery as soon as possible.
If you are looking for a knee doctor in Summerville SC, call Atlantic Coast at 843-486-0999.